Mrs J Nicholls (Head of Department)
Mrs K Simmonds
Mrs E Sykes
The Psychology Department
Entry requirements: GCSE grade 5 in Mathematics
GCSE grade 6 English Language or English Literature or a written subject
GCSE grade 5 in Biology or 55 in Combined Science
- The Psychology Department at Presdales School aims to create critical thinkers who are able to apply their psychological knowledge to a range of applications in the wider world.
- Students will be supported and challenged to develop a strong skill set to enable them to analyse data, draw conclusions, critically evaluate and apply knowledge to novel scenarios.
- Students are encouraged to develop a balanced view of human behaviour, showing empathy and an appreciation of diversity.
- Students will be encouraged to be inquisitive about human behaviour; asking questions and engaging in wider reading to support their understanding of the application of psychological knowledge and understanding to the real world.
- Provide all students with a worthwhile educational experience through well-designed schemes of work and own experimentation.
- To inspire all students to challenge their perceptions and stereotypes of human behaviour.
- To ensure all students have the basic knowledge and foundation of the psychological approaches in order to apply them to different aspects of the real world.
- Encourage students to develop empathy and understanding of individual differences in specific behaviours such as dyslexia, obedience, prejudice and anorexia.
- To use Psychological explanations in current key questions to develop student’s ability to see the purpose of Psychology, and understand its role in benefitting society.
- Encourage students to take responsibility for their own learning and encourage independent study.
- Ensure that we maintain high levels of achievement for all.