British Values: How do we promote British Values at Presdales School?
Presdales School has embraced the advice offered by the Department for Education concerning British values in schools and has embedded this across all aspects of the curriculum and school life.
These values are:
- The value of democracy
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance to those of different faiths and beliefs
We aim to develop the understanding and knowledge of students as a result of our school promoting fundamental British values in and out of the classroom. The Specified British values can be developed further:
- An understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process
- An appreciation that living under the rule of law protects individual citizens and is essential for their wellbeing and safety
- An understanding that there is a separation of power between the executive and the judiciary, and that while some public bodies such as the police and the army can be held to account through Parliament, others such as the courts maintain independence
- An understanding that the freedom to choose and hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law
- An acceptance that other people having different faiths or beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of prejudicial or discriminatory behaviour
- An understanding of the importance of identifying and combatting discrimination
The aim of promoting such values is part of our determination to enable our students to grow and develop into future citizens who hold respect and tolerance at the heart of what is important to them; to accept difference with a healthy respect for the institutions and values of the country and to have high expectations of themselves in the standards and expectations they choose to work towards.
How do we promote British values both in and out of the classroom?
We have developed British values in a number of different ways within school:
- The principal vehicles to deliver these values are via assemblies and designated form time SMSC activities
- Within our Learn4Living Programme we teach PSHE and Citizenship covering explicitly the four British values
- In the rest of the curriculum, lessons will highlight British values when relevant
- As part of the extra-curricular activities on offer in the school, a range of opportunities exist for students to participate in and explore British values further.
Examples of each method of delivery are shown below: