Presdales Careers Plan
Governing bodies are required to ensure that all students are provided with independent careers guidance from Year 8 to Year 13.
Independent careers guidance must:
- promote the best interests of the students to whom it is given
- be presented in an impartial manner
- feature information on the range of education or training options, including apprenticeships and other vocational pathways.
By the end of Key Stage 5 students are entitled to:
- have comprehensive information about post 18 Higher Education Options
- complete a workable action plan, taking account of the options available to them and be aware of the different qualifications available Post 16.
Activities to include
- Taster Day, Summer Schools and Work Experience and Apprenticeship opportunities are regularly shared with students via the Presdales Sixth Form Googlesites page
- Medical Society – open to all students considering careers within the NHS, Veterinary Science or other medical related career
- Applications to Higher Education is coordinated by the Sixth Form team and tutors
Workshops to provide support in the production of high quality CVs/Personal Statements
- Mock interviews given to support students in preparation for university or employment interviews
- A Year 12 trip to the UCAS exhibition to allow students to speak directly to representatives from universities from all over the UK about the courses they offer
- Guidance and support with work experience and/or work shadowing
- Careers Talks with professionals from a variety of sectors about routes into different careers, opportunities available and typical daily and weekly activities to allow the students to broaden their knowledge of possible careers they might consider.
- The careers programme is led by the DHT Curriculum who regularly updates SLT on careers. The lessons and events are regularly evaluated by students.
- The SENCo is involved inidentifying students with special educational needs for extra careers support with YC Herts in Year 9 and 11.
- The PSHE Coordinator is responsible for coordinating the PSHE curriculum and liaising on the delivery of any work related units.
Opportunities for access
A number of events, integrated into the school careers programme, will offer providers an opportunity to come into school to speak to students and/or their parents/carers:
|Autumn Term||Spring Term||Summer Term|
|Year Group 12||Brain Day (5th October 2018)|
Visit to Parliament (12th October 2018)
Science Live Trip (16th November 2018)
YC HERTS interviews
|Year Group 13||Brain Day (5th October 2018)|
Science Live Trip (16th November)
YC HERTS interviews