Confidential Access

Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium

The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives schools additional funding to support year 7 pupils who did not achieve the expected standard in reading or maths at the end of key stage 2(KS2).

The expected standard was previously level 4 or above at KS2 and is now based on a scaled score of 100 or above.

Plan for 2016-2017

  • A spelling focus group receiving 12 x 15 minute sessions with the Head of English
  • Paired reading with 18 year 7 students paired with a year 12 students once a week for 14 weeks.
  • 1-1 weekly lunchtime session with TA and lowest attaining Mathematics student
  • 2 smaller Mathematics sets of 18 students
  • 2 lunchtime sessions available to all to support homework and classwork issues
  • 4 hours of TA support for 1st term with lowest attaining group
  • Homework club after school run by sixth former
  • Screening and testing for extra time/electronic reader/laptop

Evaluation 2016-2017

English

From Sept 2016 - June 2017 the paired reading programme showed the following results

1. 33% of students increased their reading age by more than 9 months
2. 3 students caught up completely and are now reading at their chronological age
3. 20% made appropriate progress
4. 57% made less than appropriate progress
5. The average reading age across the cohort has risen by 7 months
6. There was an impact on their reading confidence evidenced through a questionnaire

  • By the end of year 7, 70% of the cohort made expected progress based on their end of year examination whereas the other 30% were approaching this expected progress.
  • Spelling intervention

1. Qualitative impact from questionnaire on increased confidence
2. Post intervention spelling test showed an increase of between 2.5% to 10%
3. End of year spelling screening test showed an increase of between 10 to 45%

Mathematics

  • By the end of year 7 90% of the cohort made expected progress based on their end of year examination whereas the other 10% were approaching this expected progress.
  • 20 of the lowest attaining students were placed in a smaller teaching group and there was an impact on their mathematical confidence evidenced through a questionnaire.

Plan for 2017-2018

  • A spelling focus group receiving 12 x 15 minute sessions with the Head of English
  • Paired reading with 18 year 7 students paired with a year 12 students once a week for 14 weeks.
  • Passport Maths intervention programme for use in form times
  • 1-1 weekly lunchtime session with TA and lowest attaining Mathematics student
  • 2 smaller Mathematics sets of 18 students
  • 2 lunchtime sessions available to all to support homework and classwork issues
  • 4 hours of TA support for 1st term with lowest attaining group
  • Homework club after school run by sixth former
  • Screening and testing for extra time/electronic reader/laptop