The Russian Department - 2017-2018
The Russian department at Presdales is relatively small, yet extremely successful, and is proud to continue to offer pupils the chance of learning a language that is taught in very few schools across the county. We are a team of three with a very strong background and experience in Russian language, culture and history. Our combined strengths have enabled our pupils to achieve fantastic results at both GCSE and A Level over the past few years.
Mrs E Willett, Head of Subject
Ms N Murphy, Russian Teacher
As a department we aim:
• To give our students the confidence to try
• To enable our students to make good progress and achieve the best they can
• To provide our students with a variety of ways to learn a language
• To develop and encourage an interest in Russian culture and, when feasible, offer the chance to see it for themselves
• To develop good communication and social skills
• To foster the understanding that speaking a foreign language is always an asset and can be the key to accessing certain careers
• To encourage language learners who seek to continue their studies beyond secondary education
We try to instil an interest in Russian from Year 7 by inviting pupils to attend our weekly Russian club. Members play games, make greeting cards, watch videos, learn a few words and phrases and discover some fascinating elements of Russian culture.
As a department we aim to offer a bi-annual visit to Russia. The trip is open to all students at Presdales. In October half term 2017, a group of 27 pupils visited Moscow and St. Petersburg. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION on our trip in 2015.
When possible students are offered visits to the theatre, cinema and Russia linked exhibitions.
Click on the links in the left hand menu to view information about Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4.
CLICK ON THE ABOVE TO VIEW VIDEO FOOTAGE OF THE RUSSIAN 2013 TRIP (PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL NOT RUN USING GOOGLE AS A BROWSER)